University of Saint Joseph Fast Facts
Bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees available from our:
- Undergraduate Women’s College (B.A.; B.S.)
- Co-educational Program for Adult Learners (B.A.; B.S.)
- Co-educational Graduate and Professional Studies Program (M.A.; M.S.; D.N.P.)
- University of Saint Joseph School of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.)
More than 20 majors and pre-professional programs, plus accelerated bachelor’s-to-master’s degree options and online degree programs.
- More than 80% of the University’s full-time faculty hold terminal degrees
- Faculty includes five Fulbright Scholars
- All classes taught by faculty (never teaching assistants)
Average class size is 14; student-to-faculty ratio is 12:1, allowing for mentorship and personal attention.
Founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1932 in the Catholic intellectual tradition.
Location: beautiful 84-acre campus only one mile from West Hartford’s thriving downtown; three miles from Hartford and mid-way between Boston and New York City.
USJ opened its School of Pharmacy in 2011; employment of pharmacists is expected to grow 17% between now and 2018.
University of Saint Joseph was selected by Colleges of Distinction for 2011-2012 and 2012-2013.
USJ was ranked by The U.S. News & World Report in the Top Tier of Regional Colleges in the north in 2011.
University of Saint Joseph is regionally accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) named University of Saint Joseph as 2010 and 2011 Sportsmanship Award Winner.
Five of the last nine students to win the prestigious Connecticut Chapter National Association of Social Workers Student of the Year award were USJ Social Work students.
USJ participates in Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program - offered in Collaboration with the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.
Our Accounting program is designed so you can complete all Accounting course requirements needed to sit for the State CPA exam as an undergraduate!
Recent pass rates on external exams for
- Education students: 100%
- Nursing students (NCLEX): 97%
- Special Education: 100%
USJ is one of only 14 women’s colleges in the U.S. accredited by the American Chemical Society.
In 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 USJ was named to the Presidential Honor Roll for Community Service for exemplary service efforts and service to American communities.
- Seven Residence Halls — including suite-style housing for juniors and seniors
- NCAA Division III Athletics — eight teams
- The O’Connell Athletic Center — includes a six-lane pool, fitness center, indoor track, dance studio and more
- The Carol Autorino Center for the Art and Humanities — a thriving arts center
- The University of Saint Joseph Art Gallery — houses a distinguished art collection featuring 2,000 works of art
- McGovern Student Center
- The Connor Chapel of Our Lady
- The Pope Pius XII Library — with 133,700 volumes and online resources
- Eight state-of-the-art science laboratories
- On-campus Nursing Lab
- Two laboratory schools
- The Gengras Center — private, special education school, located on campus
- The School for Young Children — model lab pre-school, one block from campus and in Hartford