Get the facts. Learn more about transferring to the University of Saint Joseph.

Transferring to a new college or university can be a difficult decision. We're here to help you take the next step by answering the most frequently asked questions about the transfer process. 

Don’t see the answer you need? Contact us for more information.

How do I apply for admission? 

Interested students can submit an application online, plus the following:

  • An official high school transcript or official General Education Diploma (G.E.D.) transcript
  • Official transcript(s) from college(s) previously attended, including evidence of degrees earned
  • SAT or ACT scores, if available

You also may be asked to submit a catalog and/or course description(s) from the college(s) you attended.

Will my credits transfer? 

USJ recognizes academic credit that has been awarded to students at other regionally accredited higher education institutions, as long as courses are of the general nature of courses offered at the University. Generally, this credit will be applied toward the minimum semester credit hours required for graduation. Credits taken elsewhere that the student wishes to apply toward a major area of study must be approved by the appropriate departmental faculty.

Only credits of C- or better are accepted in transfer (for students transferring to the Department of Nursing, grades in science courses must be B- or better). USJ does not grant transfer credit for “Credit by Examination” completed at other colleges. Also, USJ does not usually accept P grades, unless they are proven to be worth C or better. View our online course equivalencies.

When will I find out if I have been accepted? 

Notification of admission is made on a rolling basis.

As soon as your credentials are complete, the Admissions Committee reviews your application and you are informed of the decision. The Committee's acceptance of a candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of any academic work currently in progress. Following acceptance, an evaluator in the Registrar’s Office will perform a credit evaluation. To accept of the offer of admission, you will complete the appropriate confirmation form and submit a non-refundable deposit, which is credited to the first semester's bill.

When can I register? 

To accept the offer of admission, you will complete the appropriate confirmation form (included with acceptance letter) and submit a non-refundable deposit, which is credited to the first semester's bill. Once the Office of Admissions receives this, an academic advisor will contact you to set up a registration appointment.

Do I need to schedule a personal interview? 

No; however, we strongly encourage all applicants to attend an admissions presentation and campus tour

I have a copy of my transcript but it is opened. Will this be accepted? 

In order for a transcript to be considered official, it must be submitted to USJ in a sealed envelope, and it must bear the official seal of the college or university. Unofficial or opened transcripts are not accepted. You may also utilize an escript service to send an electronic transcript. Please have electronic transcripts sent to [email protected]

Where do I send my admission application and transcripts? 

Please apply online and then have your official transcripts mailed to: University of Saint Joseph Office of Admissions, 1678 Asylum Avenue, West Hartford, CT 06117. Or have electronic transcripts sent to [email protected]

I took courses at a Connecticut community college. How do I know if they will be accepted? 

USJ has an articulation agreement with Connecticut's community colleges. To find out which courses are accepted in transfer from these institutions, view course equivalencies.

How recent do my science courses have to be if I am interested in applying for the Nursing program? 

Biology and Chemistry courses should be no more than eight years old to be accepted in transfer toward the Nursing program prerequisite requirements.

Will science courses taken without labs be accepted in transfer? 

Only prerequisite sciences that are taken with a lab are accepted to meet the requirement.

With what health care facilities does USJ have clinical placements for Nursing students? 

USJ Nursing students are able to participate in clinical placements in all major hospitals in Hartford and surrounding areas.

Is financial aid available? 

Yes, full-time, matriculated students may qualify for merit-based academic scholarships and/or need-based financial assistance. Students interested in applying for financial aid should submit their FAFSA online. USJ’s school code is 001409. For more information, check out our Financial Aid section.

Can I apply as a second-degree student? 

Students interested in earning a second bachelor's degree at USJ are welcome to apply. Learn more about our second-degree program in Nursing. If you are interested in a second degree in another program, apply online and make sure to submit a transcript showing conferral of a Bachelor's degree.