Classes have finished and office hours are nearly done for the week here at the University of Saint Joseph! Campus is so quiet that even our furry friends are using this chance to get some rest! This quiet time has also provided our office with the chance to give you a little bit more in-depth information about our newest program, the Gerontology graduate certificate.
With nearly one out of every four U.S. households provides care to a relative or friend aged 50 or older and about 15 percent of adults (13 million people) care for a seriously ill or disabled family member, there is a fundamental need for greater understanding of the aging process.
To answer that need, the University of Saint Joseph created the Gerontology graduate certificate program to provide an interdisciplinary approach to understanding aging as a process of life-long development while assisting professionals already educated in basic disciplines with the background needed to work in the field of aging and human development.
The Gerontology graduate certificate is a 12-credit, online program that has each student take two eight-week courses each module with one course being completed at a time. This format allows the program to be a little more flexible to the student’s needs while only needing two semesters to be completed. Courses will deal with specific issues and challenges in an aging society and will reflect the philosophy of lifelong development growth while emphasizing the strength of human beings at every age.
More information about the program is available here!
- Admission Requirements: Application (www.usj.edu/grad-application), $50 application fee, official transcript showing degree conferral from a regionally-accredited institution, two professional letters of recommendation, and a letter of intent.
- Program Cost: $670 per credit ($8,040 for the program)
- Program Length: 12 credits (four three-credit courses) completed over 2 semesters
- Program Format: Online courses through Blackboard
- Course Duration: 8 weeks
- Note: Financial aid is not available for any certificate program at the University of Saint Joseph, including Gerontology.
Until next time, have a great weekend everyone!