Take the first step toward assistance for your USJ undergraduate or graduate degree.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) provides more than $150 billion in grants, loans and work-study funds each year.

Administered by Federal Student Aid, which is part of the U.S. Department of Education and the largest provider of student financial aid in the nation, FAFSA gives you access to the largest source of financial aid to pay for school.

Visit the Federal Student Aid website now to begin the free FAFSA application and to get some great tips on how and why to apply. You can also contact Student Financial Services for more information.

Deadline for Applying

  • Returning student FAFSA deadline - Annually on December 1
  • Incoming student FAFSA deadline - Annually on March 1

FAFSA Tips & Tricks

Common Errors:

  • Social Security Numbers
  • Divorced/remarried parental information
  • Income earned by parents/stepparents
  • Untaxed income
  • U.S. income taxes paid
  • Household size
  • Number of household members in college
  • Real estate and investment net worth

Things to Keep in Mind:

  • Make sure your name and Social Security number exactly match what is provided on your Social Security card. 
  • Make sure you are answering for the student in the student sections and the parent(s) in the parent section.
  • Do not leave any answers blank. If a question does not apply to you, fill in a zero.
  • Report income and taxes using the 1040 federal tax form, not W-2 forms. The FAFSA will refer to the lines on which you will find the information required. 
  • Report all sources of untaxed income where required, including Social Security, child support and Aid to Dependent Children (ADC).
  • If the custodial parent (the parent the student lives with more than half the year) is remarried, stepparent information MUST be provided. 
  • The student should always be included in the household size, even if s/he did not live with parents during the previous year.
  • Sign the application!
  • For dependent students, both the student and at least one parent MUST sign the FAFSA. When applying online, that means both must have their own PIN, which will be used each time you resubmit the FAFSA in the future. 


How do I correct mistakes on the FAFSA? 

You can make corrections at the FAFSA website. Select “Make corrections to a processed FAFSA.” If you have the paper Student Aid Report (SAR) that was mailed to you once the FAFSA was processed, you may make corrections on the SAR and return it to the Federal Processor, as listed on the SAR. DO NOT send SAR corrections to our office.

What do I do if I submitted my FAFSA using the wrong Social Security Number (SSN)? 

You must complete a new FAFSA using the correct information. You may not submit corrections to the SSN using the SAR or online.

Do I need to submit another FAFSA if I will not be attending until spring, if I originally intended to enroll in the fall? 

You do NOT have to submit a new FAFSA. The FAFSA is good for the entire academic year. You should contact Student Financial Services, however, so we are aware of the change in your plans.

Do I need to correct the FAFSA if I've gotten married since submitting it? 

Marital status cannot be updated during the financial aid award year for which you’ve already submitted the FAFSA. When you file the FAFSA for the next academic year, you should indicate your proper marital status at that time.

How do I make corrections to the FAFSA to indicate that I now have a child that I support (for whom I provide 50% or more of support)? 

This correction can be made online at the FAFSA website or by submitting the correction to the Federal Processor by mail on the paper SAR.

I did not include University of Saint Joseph in my list of schools to receive my FAFSA. How do I send it there? 

You must add USJ on your FAFSA. Call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1.800.433.3243 to add USJ’s school code (001409) as one of the ten schools. You can also make this correction at the FAFSA website by choosing “Add or Delete a School Code.” Please do not send in your Student Aid Report as it will not be used to process your financial aid and will be returned to you by mail. All FAFSA information must be received electronically from the Federal Processor.