Welcome to the University of Saint Joseph!
Since its founding by the Sisters of Mercy in 1932, the University has maintained a focus on student success. We are keenly aware of the need to foster our students’ potential by building career preparation on a foundation of study in the arts and sciences.
What Distinguishes USJ from Other Universities?
- Our long record of linking the classroom to the real world: 95 percent of our students have significant pre-professional experience before they graduate. It could be an internship at an insurance firm or an international sports media outlet, a clinical experience at a major hospital, student teaching at an area public school, or a laboratory-based research project in genomics — USJ ensures that students will test their skills in a professional environment. Additionally, they gain valuable real-world experience in our two on-campus laboratory schools: the Gengras Center and the School for Young Children.
- Our location: USJ has a beautiful campus that epitomizes the New England college environment, but is just three miles and a short bus ride from Hartford — the home of the state’s government, a major culture and arts center, and “The Insurance Capital of the World.” The city serves as a laboratory for students studying and applying knowledge in a range of disciplines — from social work and nursing to accounting and actuarial studies.
- Our emphasis on ethics and values: USJ is unapologetic about our commitment to preparing graduates to meet society’s needs, no matter what field they are pursuing, and to maintaining a focus on service to others. We talk about values, we foster community engagement, and we practice compassion.
Beyond our academic programs, USJ offers an array of cultural and enrichment activities, including concerts, dramatic performances, art exhibits, lectures, spiritual programs, and athletic events. The University’s central location within the state provides students with even more cultural and social activities nearby, in addition to easy access via public transportation to New Haven, Boston, Providence, and New York City. And, while USJ’s distinctive characteristics and location are important for students, they also ensure that we can attract faculty with outstanding credentials as teachers, scholars, scientists, and practitioners.
Whether you are a student, professor, staff member, graduate, family member, visitor, or part of the local community, we appreciate your interest in USJ. There are many reasons to visit — please join us on campus and discover everything that the University of Saint Joseph has to offer!
Office of the President
The Office of the President is the headquarters of the University of Saint Joseph, managing its fiscal and business operations, and supporting the University’s student-centered mission across its campuses. Offices that report to the President include:
- Art Museum, USJ
- Autorino Center for the Arts and Humanities
- Campus Ministry
- Office of Diversity and Inclusion/Title IX
- Office of Marketing and Communications
Executive Administrative Assistant to the President
Secretary to the Board of Trustees
Location: Mercy Hall, Room 1 (first floor)
Hours: M – F: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.