The University of Saint Joseph is the premier private university in Connecticut for future in-demand professionals in health care and social services, education, digital media, and the sciences. Located minutes from major corporate headquarters and renowned medical and research facilities, USJ offers students programs that directly link coursework, theory, and evidence with placements in workplace settings, providing them the experience needed to rise above the stiff competition when they enter the job market. The University has been recognized as a top national university in Connecticut by U.S. News & World Report’s Best College Rankings including being the #1 Connecticut University in “Top Performers on Social Mobility,” #2 Connecticut University in “Best Value Schools,” and #3 Connecticut University in “Best National Universities.” A USJ degree is a proven credential for undergraduates seeking a traditional New England college setting with exceptional NCAA Division III athletics and a strong sense of community. For graduate students ready to learn more and earn more, USJ offers online, hybrid, and on-ground masters and doctoral programs with innovative modular curricula that attract students from around the world.
History & Location
- The University of Saint Joseph is an independent not-for-profit organization, founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1932 in the Catholic tradition.
- Beautiful 90-acre main campus one mile from West Hartford’s thriving downtown, three miles from Hartford, and midway between Boston and New York City.
- The Doctor of Pharmacy program operates at the Hartford campus, located in a professional area that also boasts a variety of restaurants and entertainment venues.
Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral degrees are available:
- Undergraduate programs (B.A., B.S.)
- Graduate programs (M.A., M.A.T., M.P.H., M.S., M.S.W.)
- Professional and Doctoral programs (Pharm.D., D.N.P., PA Program)
- 25+ undergraduate majors and pre-professional areas of study
- Accelerated bachelors-to-masters degree options
- Online degree programs
- Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program for veteran students, in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Faculty & Classes
- More than 85% of full-time faculty hold terminal degrees
- Faculty includes six Fulbright Scholars
- All classes taught by faculty (never teaching assistants)
- Average class size: 14 students
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 8:1
- The University of Saint Joseph is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE); a number of its programs have specialized accreditation.
- #1 in CT Best Social Mobility – U.S. News & World Report’s 2022 Best Colleges “National Universities” for Connecticut
- #41 in Best Value (Overall) – U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best Colleges “National Universities”
- #2 in CT Best Value – U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best Colleges “National Universities” for Connecticut
- #2 in CT Best Social Mobility – U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best Colleges “National Universities” for Connecticut
- #1 in CT A+ School for B Students – U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best Colleges “National Universities” for Connecticut
- #3 in CT National University – U.S. News & World Report’s 2020 Best Colleges “National Universities” for Connecticut
- Top 5 University in Connecticut for MONEY’s “Colleges That Add the Most Value”
- A 2021 report from CollegeFactual.com ranks USJ #10 Nationwide as Best Nursing Colleges, and #1 in New England as sourced by The Institute of Education Sciences (IES).
- #2 on the 2021 College Raptor “Hidden Gem Colleges in New England” list of Connecticut schools.
- A 2020 report from the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce (CEW) finds the University of Saint Joseph has the third-highest Earnings: Price Return of non-profit four-year universities in Connecticut. This ratio expresses how much earnings, 10 years after enrollment, are above or below the net price (in percent), for USJ it’s calculated to be 106%!
- Named #73 nationwide among private nursing schools and #16 overall in New England by the Nursing School Almanac 2020 Nursing School Rankings.
- Six residence halls – including suite-style housing for juniors and seniors
- NCAA Division III Athletics – nine women’s teams and six men’s teams
- The O’Connell Athletic Center – includes two gymasiums with seating, a strength and conditioning area, six-lane pool, fitness center, indoor track, the Beekley Center for Student Health and Wellness, and more
- The Bruyette Athenaeum – includes the 365-seat Hoffman auditorium, the O’Connor Archives, an art studio, dance studio, classrooms, and faculty offices
- The Art Museum at USJ – houses a distinguished collection of more than 2,000 works of art
- McGovern Student Center – the hub of student activity, which houses the Dining Commons, a snack bar, activities offices, a community lounge, and the University Campus Store
- The Connor Chapel of Our Lady – the heart of the University’s Roman Catholic tradition
- The Pope Pius XII Library – with 133,700 volumes and online resources
- Eight state-of-the-art science laboratories
- On-campus Nursing Education and Simulation Center featuring interactive learning spaces with modern instructional equipment and technology
- Two laboratory schools: