HOME OF THE BLUE JAYS!Not Just a Degree, an Experience
NCAA Division III Athletics: Go Blue Jays!FInd your squad
An inside look at USJ’s campus, academic buildings, student center, dining commons, and more!Explore USJ
Top-rated program: USJ’s Nursing program offers advanced, on-site learning experiencesNursing at USJ
WHY CHOOSE USJ?
The University of Saint Joseph is the premier private university in Connecticut for future in-demand professionals in health care and social services, education, digital media, and the sciences with its undergraduate and graduate degree programs designed for your goals!
A USJ degree is a proven credential for undergraduates seeking a traditional New England college setting with exceptional NCAA Division III athletics and a strong sense of community.
For graduate students ready to learn more and earn more, USJ offers online, hybrid, and on-ground masters and doctoral programs with innovative modular curricula that attract students from around the world.
History & Location
- The University of Saint Joseph is an independent not-for-profit organization, founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1932 in the Catholic tradition.
- USJ’s beautiful 90-acre main campus is one mile from West Hartford’s thriving downtown and three miles from Hartford, Connecticut’s capital city. Explore Blue Back Square!
- 25+ undergraduate majors and pre-professional areas of study
- Accelerated bachelors-to-masters degree options
- Online degree programs
- Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program for veteran students, in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Faculty & Classes
- More than 85% of full-time faculty hold terminal degrees
- All classes taught by faculty (never teaching assistants)
- Average class size: 14 students
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 8:1
- USJ is fully test optional for all programs and scholarships
Earn Credits while in High School
- The USJ Challenge Program is designed for students to expand and enrich their academic program with a collegiate experience while still attending high school.
Transfer easily to USJ!
- Even before you apply, USJ will work with you to organize your transfer credits and see how much time you can save by earning your degree faster with transferred credit!
- USJ offers a Guaranteed Admissions Program with Connecticut’s community colleges.
Want a career that pays off your student loans quickly?
While you are at USJ we have resources to help make career decisions: resume writing workshops, one-on-one career counseling, and professional development guidance. The University will help connect you to unpaid/paid internships, on-campus and off-campus employment, and events with alumni and other professionals in a wide range of careers.
- The University of Saint Joseph is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE); a number of its programs have specialized accreditation.
- #1 in CT Best Social Mobility – U.S. News & World Report’s 2022 Best Colleges “National Universities” for Connecticut
- #41 in Best Value (Overall) – U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best Colleges “National Universities”
- #2 in CT Best Value – U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best Colleges “National Universities” for Connecticut
- #2 in CT Best Social Mobility – U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best Colleges “National Universities” for Connecticut
- #1 in CT A+ School for B Students – U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best Colleges “National Universities” for Connecticut
- #3 in CT National University – U.S. News & World Report’s 2020 Best Colleges “National Universities” for Connecticut
- Top 5 University in Connecticut for MONEY’s “Colleges That Add the Most Value”
- A 2021 report from CollegeFactual.com ranks USJ #10 Nationwide as Best Nursing Colleges, and #1 in New England as sourced by The Institute of Education Sciences (IES).
- #2 on the 2021 College Raptor “Hidden Gem Colleges in New England” list of Connecticut schools.
- A 2020 report from the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce (CEW) finds the University of Saint Joseph has the third-highest Earnings: Price Return of non-profit four-year universities in Connecticut. This ratio expresses how much earnings, 10 years after enrollment, are above or below the net price (in percent), for USJ it’s calculated to be 106%!
- Named #73 nationwide among private nursing schools and #16 overall in New England by the Nursing School Almanac 2020 Nursing School Rankings.
- Six residence halls – including suite-style housing for juniors and seniors
- NCAA Division III Athletics – nine women’s teams and six men’s teams
- The O’Connell Athletic Center – includes two gymnasiums with seating, a strength and conditioning area, six-lane pool, fitness center, indoor track, the Beekley Center for Student Health and Wellness, and more
- The Bruyette Athenaeum – includes the 365-seat Hoffman auditorium, the O’Connor Archives, an art studio, dance studio, classrooms, and faculty offices
- The Art Museum at USJ – houses a distinguished collection of more than 2,000 works of art
- McGovern Student Center – the hub of student activity, which houses the Dining Commons, a snack bar, activities offices, a community lounge, and the University Campus Store
- The Connor Chapel of Our Lady – the heart of the University’s Roman Catholic tradition
- The Pope Pius XII Library – with 133,700 volumes and online resources
- Eight state-of-the-art science laboratories
- On-campus Nursing Education and Simulation Center featuring interactive learning spaces with modern instructional equipment and technology
- Two laboratory schools: The Gengras Center – private special education school, on-campus
- The School for Young Children – model lab preschool, one block from campus