Emerging Infectious Diseases Certificate (Online)
Emerging Infectious Diseases Graduate Certificate: Enhance your degree
Emerging Infectious Diseases provides an understanding of current disease that can affect public health.
The global connectedness of our human make it important to have trained professionals that have a thorough understanding of how diseases such as HIV/AIDS, H5N1 avian influenza and Zika virus evolved and how they function. Students completing this certificate will have a broad understanding of the health implications of current infectious diseases and how it evolves, moves through hosts and the implications for public health. Students who would benefit from this program are in industry, research and the health fields.
This 12-credit certificate is comprised of the student choosing 3 out of 7 specific courses and one capstone course. Specific course offerings available in the course catalog.
- Graduate admission application and nonrefundable application fee
- A baccalaureate degree in Biology or related field (ex: cell biology, ecology, marine biology, genetics, zoology, plant biology, evolutionary biology, microbiology) from a regionally accredited institution. If the degree is not in Biology, transcripts must reflect a B or better for a minimum of four Biology lab courses
- Sealed official transcripts of all undergraduate work from all colleges attended (minimum GPA of 3.0)
- Two letters recommending the candidate for graduate work at University of Saint Joseph from individuals who can comment cogently upon the ability of the candidate to perform in graduate studies
- A letter of intent stating the reason for wanting the degree or certificate, the courses of interest, possible transfer courses to be brought into the program, and what the student will be bringing to the program
- Planned program of study
- If the GPA is borderline, the student must submit a 600-word essay with appropriate citations on a science topic of applicant's choice.
- Note: We no longer require the GREs for matriculation
Note: Matriculated students have priority to register for courses during the registration period.
Financial aid is only available to students who are formally accepted and matriculated.