Special Education, M.A.
Make a difference in the lives of students and families with the Special Education M.A.
About USJ’s M.A. in Special Education Program:
- Core coursework includes Special Education research, laws, and curricular adaptations
- Electives are selected in collaboration with an advisor
- Program integrates theory and practice, using research-based practices
- There are opportunities to complete course-required tasks in your own school settings
- Coursework includes supervised after-school and weekend clinicals in partnership schools and agencies
- Students have the opportunity to connect and collaborate with other candidates who want to make a difference
- Reading: Learn how to use diagnostic-prescriptive approaches to reading and apply them to decoding and comprehension strand skills.
- Math-Science (STEM): Learn how to use diagnostic-prescriptive approaches in mathematics and how to integrate science content and informational reading that motivates students.
- Autism: Learn how to conduct functional-behavior assessments of challenging behavior and develop intervention plans and evidence-based teaching strategies based on principles of Applied Behavior Analysis.