Develop your critical thinking. Cultivate your creative expression
As a USJ English major you will grow as a reader, writer, and thinker.
You will benefit from a renowned faculty including Fulbright Scholars, a challenging and innovative curriculum, and internship and study-abroad opportunities.
Program Options and Opportunities:
- Concentrate in Literature or Writing
- Choose from courses in American Literature, Creative Writing, Shakespeare, Female Detective Fiction, and so much more
- Study abroad – there are many opportunities, particularly in Great Britain. Students recently attended the University of York and University of Aberystwyth during their junior years.
- USJ offers a Self-Designed English minor.
- USJ also offers a Drama minor and a self-designed Drama major that include a variety of practical and scholarly course offerings.
Internships are available in fields such as public relations, corporate communications, and the media. Students have interned at museums, theaters, newspapers, libraries, and television and radio stations throughout the Hartford area.
Four recent placements demonstrate the range of opportunities available:
- Working as an editorial assistant at The Hartford Courant
- Creating press releases and providing journalistic coverage of campus events in the University's own Office of Marketing and Communications
- Assisting Hartford Stage Company with its educational programs for young people
- Working in the internal communications office at United Technologies Corporation, a Fortune 500 company
In 1945, the first issue of Interpretations was published. The university supported the student created arts journal, giving its student editors free rein to gather and publish creative work from students, staff, faculty, and alumnae.
View our online catalog for curriculum information.