Apply your analytic, logical and problem-solving skills to a rewarding career path
Majoring in Mathematics at USJ will provide you with a solid foundation in all key areas of traditional mathematics, allowing you to:
- Develop the art of mathematical discovery
- Achieve competence in the use of mathematical concepts and procedures
- Explore applications of mathematics in business, finance, the life sciences, and more
- Cultivate your powers of logical reasoning
- Become proficient with modern mathematical technology tools
- Develop your ability to communicate mathematical ideas with clarity and coherence
The Mathematics curriculum provides a thorough knowledge of the fundamental mathematical concepts and enables the student to develop the art of mathematical discovery as well as competence in the use of mathematical procedures. A student graduating with a Mathematics major from the University of Saint Joseph is a logical thinker who is well educated in all major areas of Mathematics (calculus, linear and abstract algebra, probability, statistics, and analysis) and has strong problem solving, communication, and technology skills.
Majors often pursue teacher certification at the secondary or elementary level; some select a minor in fields such as Economics, Accounting, Management, Information Technology, or Biology. In addition to the traditional Mathematics major, a concentration in Computer Science is available. Graduates pursue diverse career opportunities in fields like education, research and development, insurance, finance, actuarial science, programming, and software engineering.
- Mathematical Association of America Career Information for Students
- American Mathematical Society: career profiles of recent graduates in the mathematical sciences
- Be an Actuary: Preparing for an Actuarial Career
- Mathematical Sciences Career Network
- Finding a Career in Numbers
- Best Careers for Math Majors