Accelerated Second Degree (ASD), Nursing, B.S.
Earn a B.S. in Nursing through this accelerated, competitive program
USJ’s Accelerated Second Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (ASD) offers students with baccalaureate degrees in other disciplines the opportunity to gain a B.S. with a concentration in Nursing.
Students who have previously earned a bachelor’s degree in another discipline may apply for admission to the Accelerated Second Degree in Nursing. Students in the ASD program are awarded a Bachelor of Science degree upon completion of Nursing academic requirements. Graduates of the ASD program will then be eligible to take the National Council licensing examination for licensure as a Registered Nurse (NCLEX).
“The University of Saint Joseph was my first and only choice when selecting an accelerated nursing program for those with a previous Bachelor’s degree. I would recommend the ASD program at the University of Saint Joseph to any student who values mentorship.” - Michael Andrews '16
Application deadline is February 1 of each year for the May Cohort of each year.
All Accelerated Second Degree (ASD) in Nursing program applicants are required to meet the following criteria:
- Conferral of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university prior to the start of the ASD Program in May of each year.
- All final official transcripts for any ASD prerequisite courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 across all college or university courses taken.
- Grade of B minus (B-) or better in all science prerequisite courses.
- It is required that all science prerequisite courses must be taken within the last five (5) years. All non-science courses must have been completed within the last five (5) years.
- Only one repeated science prerequisite course is permitted.
- Admitted students must also complete a criminal background check and pass a drug screening with an acceptable outcome before taking their first nursing course.