Transfer Policies and General Education Requirements
Learn about our transfer policies and general education requirements
Contact us for more information on our policies, or explore the information below.
Transfer Credit Policies:
- Only official transcripts from other schools may be used to evaluate and/or award credit.
- New students or previously enrolled students must request that an official transcript from ALL previously attended colleges be mailed to: the Admissions Office, University of Saint Joseph, Undergraduate Admissions Office, 1678 Asylum Ave, West Hartford CT, 06117.
- Current students should have the official transcript mailed to: University of Saint Joseph, Office of the Registrar, 1678 Asylum Ave, West Hartford CT, 06117.
- Credit will not be awarded to second-degree Nursing students with Biology or Chemistry course work that is more than eight years old.
- USJ accepts transfer credit from regionally accredited colleges and universities. The following accrediting bodies are recognized by USJ:
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC-ACCJC, WASC-ACSCU)
- Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges (NWCCU)
- North Central Association of Schools and Colleges (NCA-CASI, NCA-HLC)
- Southern Association of Schools and Colleges (SACS)
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA)
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC-CIHE, NEASC-CTCI)
- New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
- Credits from nationally accredited institutions will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis. We reserve the right to request additional information about coursework including: course descriptions, syllabi, and catalogs.
USJ Residency Requirement:
A minimum of 120 semester hours are required for graduation. Students must earn 45 hours at University of Saint Joseph; these hours can include a combination of courses at USJ or within the Consortium. R.N. to B.S students must earn at least 30 credits at University of Saint Joseph.
When you transfer to USJ, the credits you transfer prior to official enrollment are what will determine which general education requirements you need to fulfill.
Students that transfer 23 credits or fewer (not including AP credit or ECE credit) are waived from:
First Year Seminar (INTD 100 and INTD 116)
Students that transfer 24-59 credits are waived from:
- First-Year Seminar (INTD 100 and INTD 116)
- RELS 125- Faith Theology in a Religiously Pluralistic World
- Either Philosophy or the values/ethics perspective.
If you transfer in 23 credits and later complete additional transfer credits, those credits are not added to the original 23 to grant waiver from the three requirements mentioned above.
Students that transfer 60 credits plus or Associates Degree:
USJ accepts 30-31 credits of General Education. Waives Language and IT competencies, and regards all USJ Core Curriculum requirements satisfied except:
- Religion 200 -level or above course with Values/Ethics focus
- INTD 301 - Mercy Intergrative Semin
- (2) Liberal Arts & Sciences Electives 200-level or above
- One course each meeting the Multicultural Women’s and Gender Studies and Global Issues/International Studies designations. These courses may also be used to meet the two-course Liberal Arts and Sciences Electives requirement above
- Critical Writing and Reasoning Portfolio
Students who enter USJ with an Advanced Placement score of four or above will be granted advanced placement and credit. Select courses are granted transfer credit with a score of three or higher. View eligible exams.
College credit may also be awarded to students for successful completion of proficiency examinations. Such examinations may be designed and administered by the faculty of a department for specific courses. Standardized exams such as CLEP (College Level Examination Placement) or Dantes may be used as the basis for awards. View eligible exams.