Health Science (Direct-Entry PA), B.S.
Earn guaranteed admission to USJ’s Physician Assistant (PA) Studies Program through this competitive major.
This seven-semester, interdisciplinary bachelor’s degree in Health Science prepares students for post-graduate success in USJ’s Physician Assistant Studies Program.
The Pre-PA track is open to high school graduates who meet the admissions requirements specific to the program and then meet the yearly benchmarks through their junior year. Students that meet all the benchmarks and pass an in person interview are then guaranteed a seat in the USJ PA program beginning the January after their 7th semester.
About the Program
Health Science is an interdisciplinary program of study for undergraduate students interested in entering USJ’s Physician Assistant Studies program. The seven-semester, Direct-Entry PA Studies Track is open to high school graduates who meet the admission requirements.
Students who meet the yearly academic benchmarks and successfully complete the interview during their senior year are guaranteed a seat in the USJ PA Studies program in January, following their seventh semester.
Criteria for Program Admission
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 (unweighted, core courses)
- Completion of two semesters each of Biology, Chemistry, and Algebra II
Throughout curriculum, students must meet the following requirements:
- Earn a “C” or better in all major and supporting courses
- Take all major or supporting courses at USJ
- No repeat of courses without permission from major advisor/program director (may delay matriculation into PA Studies Program)
- Absence of disciplinary actions
- Maintain ability to meet PA Studies Technical Standards, with or without accommodation
- End of First-Year Spring Semester:
- Cumulative 2.75 GPA or higher
- End of Sophomore Year Spring Semester:
- Cumulative 3.0 GPA or higher
- End of Junior Year Spring Semester:
- Cumulative 3.25 GPA or higher
- Successful completion of in-person interview for PA Studies Program
- End of Senior Year Fall Semester:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher
- Completion of 250 hours of field experience in the last five years (Health Care, Research, Volunteer, Shadow, etc.)