Sports Nutrition Graduate Certificate
Enhance your knowledge in this specialization with an online graduate certificate in Sports Nutrition
Sports Nutrition is a specialized branch of nutrition that studies food as it relates to athletic performance. The field of Sports Nutrition is experiencing tremendous growth at the community, collegiate and professional levels. Get your start in the field with USJ’s graduate certificate in Sports Nutrition.
Program Fast Facts
- The Certificate is 100% online, offering flexibility and options for working professionals and the required practicum can be completed locally in the student’s geographical area.
- The program curriculum provides advanced education in Sports Nutrition based on the content areas of the Board Certification Exam for Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD). Please note that completion of the Graduate Certificate in Sports Nutrition does not lead to eligibility for the CSSD exam. Additional requirements are needed to be eligible. More information can be found here.
- Areas of focus include nutrition assessment, nutrition diagnosis, intervention, monitoring/evaluation, nutrition education, sports nutrition-related food services management, communication, and application of knowledge and ethics and professionalism.
- Once students have passed their prerequisite coursework, they are eligible to enroll in a 3-credit practicum to gain hands-on experience in Sports Nutrition. The practicum can be completed at a local site in the student’s geographical area. Potential practicum sites could be collegiate athletics, professional teams, fitness centers, high school/youth athletic programs, worksite wellness, research/academic settings, and many more.
Example of Available Courses
- Graduate Sports Nutrition, 3 credits [prerequisite for Practicum]
- Evaluating the Literature in Sports Nutrition, 3 credits [prerequisite for Practicum]
- Practical Applications in Sports Nutrition (Practicum), 3 credits [completed locally in the student’s geographical area)
Admission Requirements for All Students
- Application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Sealed transcript of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and any additional graduate coursework
- Transcripts from all colleges or institutions attended
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- A letter of intent explaining your interest and pursuit of the Graduate Certificate in Sports Nutrition
- NO GRE or other exam required
Students interested in the Graduate Certificate in Sports Nutrition must have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution and must also have completed an undergraduate basic nutrition course and/or sports nutrition course with a grade of “C” or higher. Students may enroll in our undergraduate online sports nutrition course to fulfill this prerequisite course requirement.
Students must hold a grade of “C” or better in all required courses and a cumulative GPA of “C” (2.75) or higher. Students will have the opportunity to repeat any course once if they were not successful in obtaining the “C” grade.