The Making of Our SNAP-Ed Health Coaching Toolkit
The Telephonic Health Coaching (THC) Intervention Toolkit is designed to assist SNAP-Ed programs in implementing THC intervention, an innovative and effective method to promote healthy behavior changes among SNAP-Ed participants. Based on best practices derived from six years of experience at the University of Saint Joseph (USJ) SNAP-Ed program, this toolkit provides comprehensive resources for launching a THC intervention.
Our THC intervention consists of six consecutive weekly sessions, approximately thirty minutes in length, with pre/post program evaluation at weeks one and six.
How We Welcome Clients To Our Program
- Will provide guidance needed to motivate you to improve your health.
- Is over the phone for 30 minutes for 6 weeks, scheduled at a time and date you select.
- Is funded by the USDA therefore; there is no cost for you.
- May use non-personal information from your sessions to measure the success of the program and share with the CT DPH.
- Allows you to stop participating at any time.
- Provides a gift and a certificate upon completion.
As the Client, You Will:
- Improve your level of health.
- Take responsibility to make and sustain changes.
- Invest time to make improvements.
- Be willing to share personal information that is related to your health.
- Be open to suggestions and willing to try new things.
- Understand that set backs are normal on the path of change.
- Answer your coach’s call during your session time.
- Let your coach know if a session needs to be reschedule.
Your Coach Will:
- Help you identify and use your strengths on the path to a healthier future.
- Ask questions to help you to arrive at your own answers.
- Encourage realistic goals.
- Create a safe place that helps supports learning and new behaviors.
- Support you in thinking of creative ways for moving forward.
- Respect your ideas, learning styles, and needs.
- Offer ideas for improving your health with your permission.
- Be on time in calling you every week during the agreed upon time.
- Recommend other resources for you when our program is unable to help.
What Our Clients Are Saying About This Program:
I wanted to update you on my progress. Since working with you I have lost over 10 pounds and I am eating healthy. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables, yogurt and make healthy choices now. I read labels now before I buy a product to make sure it is nutritious and a healthy choice. Thanks to you and your program I am on my way to eating healthy and losing weight.
It was an honor to work with you. Please remember that you made me believe in myself again and I could not have done it by myself. I believe I made a friend for life.
Get In Touch
For questions or more information, please feel free to contact us at the SNAP-Ed Program, Telephonic Health Coaching.
Email: [email protected]
Mary Gollan, MS, RDN, CD-N, CLC
SNAP-Ed Grant Manager
Email: [email protected]