About the Doctor of Pharmacy Program at USJ
Our Pharmacy Program offers students distinctive advantages
While most Doctor of Pharmacy programs follow a four-year plan of study, ours is completed in three calendar years — moving you into the workforce a full year earlier.
USJ’s three-year distinctive and innovative modified-block curriculum has a proven record of success; its format will increase your ability to master the material in a team-based learning environment, while also providing an experiential education that prepares graduates for a variety of career paths including community pharmacy, clinical pharmacy, industry, and research.
Ours is a tight-knit community that encourages student engagement and lifelong learning. Faculty and staff provide a supportive and student-centered environment, facilitating success in becoming a practice-ready healthcare provider. The integrated curriculum fosters a strong sense of responsibility to the health and well-being of society. We are committed to developing competent and compassionate pharmacists who will advance the pharmacists’ patient care process.
What Makes USJ’s Pharmacy Program Stand Out?
- Small class sizes and high faculty to student ratios with an open-door policy
- An impressively diverse student body, faculty, and staff and a global professional network
- Three calendar year modified-block curriculum – you and your classmates move through the program as a cohort, studying one course at a time and mastering the subject material
- Experiential education woven into the entire curriculum
- Students, faculty and staff are actively involved in service to the community
- History of nationally recognized student research and scholarship
The University of Saint Joseph School of Pharmacy and Physician Assistant Studies’ Doctor of Pharmacy program is accredited by:
The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education
190 S. LaSalle Street
Chicago, IL 60603
The University of Saint Joseph is fully accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and the School of Pharmacy and Physician Assistant Studies was included in that accreditation in 2013.
The School of Pharmacy and Physician Assistant Studies is fully accredited by the state of Connecticut.
Meet The Dean
Dr. Abdelmageed was most recently Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice and the Assistant Dean of Experiential Education and Community Engagement, Manchester University College of Pharmacy, Natural and Health Sciences in Fort Wayne, Ind. before joining USJ in Spring 2021.
What drew me here is how USJ lives its mission and core values. The focus on the development of the whole person is palpable, pride in service is admirable and diversity is visible. Everyone has been extremely hospitable, and I am excited to be the latest member of the USJ family.-Dr. Abdelmageed
Mission and Goals
The program provides a firm foundation in biomedical, pharmaceutical, socio-behavioral, clinical science, and lifelong learning skills, resulting in pharmacy practitioners who are committed to providing quality pharmacist-delivered patient care and advancing the pharmacy profession.
The integrated curriculum fosters strong ethical values, intellectual curiosity, personal integrity, and sense of responsibility to the health and well being of society. The Doctor of Pharmacy program is committed to, and promotes the emergence of, competent and compassionate pharmacists who will advance various pharmacy practice models, engage in community service, and foster the advancement of research and scholarship.
To provide exemplary Pharmacy education to a diverse and qualified student population possessing high leadership potential. The School fosters creation of new knowledge and strong ethical values in the development of competent, compassionate pharmacists dedicated to superior patient care and service to their communities.
The goals of the program will be achieved through four mission-driven areas of focus:
- Education leading to a solid understanding of the basis of disease states and the professional practice of pharmacy, by:
- Attracting qualified, diverse students to be leaders in pharmacy
- Providing meaningful educational experiences designed to impart the requisite skills, knowledge, and values needed for the successful pursuit of careers in the pharmacy profession
- Fostering the development of critical thinking
- Instilling in graduates a desire for lifelong learning and a commitment to provide solutions in a constantly changing health care environment
- Scholarship leading to the ability to create and share new knowledge by the School’s faculty, students, and graduates, by:
- Attracting competent faculty and staff who are dedicated to innovative teaching methods, mentoring of students, and involvement in practice and community service
- Providing ample support for the orientation to a new pedagogy and development of outstanding faculty mentors and leaders
- Creating a scholarly community that rewards academic and professional excellence
- Fostering collegiality
- Promoting scholarly activities and other creative endeavors to support the academic enterprise
- Patient Care leading to the provision of pharmacist-delivered patient care and medication therapy management services based on the application of the students’ education and scholarship abilities, by:
- Attracting faculty with strong commitment to patient care to serve as preceptors and mentors
- Expanding practice opportunities through creative application of new knowledge
- Preparing graduates who can deliver patient-centered care
- Promoting public health through patient care and advocacy
- Community Service leading to the active engagement of the members of the community in the world around them, by:
- Requiring community service as part of the professional curriculum
- Fostering the growth and development of student organizations within the School to fulfill their service mission
- Collaborating with existing University programs and their endeavors
- Developing novel service activities relevant to the school’s mission
- Exploring the development of international service sites