Physician Assistant Studies Program Admissions
Learn more about the USJ PA Studies program and requirements for the upcoming 2021/2022 application cycle. For additional information, please email [email protected].
The CASPA 2021-2022 application cycle will open April 29, 2021.
For information regarding CASPA and COVID-19 updates and FAQs, please go here.
Completion of the following items are required of all students who wish to apply to the USJ PA Studies Program:CASPA application
Including 3 professional letters of recommendation
USJ CASPA Supplemental Application
Payment of $50 supplemental application fee – Click here to complete payment
Documentation of a minimum of 250 hours in any combination of the following areas, within the last 5 years:
Paid or volunteer patient care experience
Health care provider shadowing
Please note the following Pass/Fail grade policy instituted during the COVID-19 pandemic.
In recognition of the challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic, the USJ PA Studies Program will accept Pass/Fail grades to meet pre-requisite requirements for courses taken in the Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 semesters. This decision will be re-evaluated to determine if the policy will be extended into the 2021-2022 application cycle.
In situations where students are given the option by their institution to select traditional letter grades or Pass/Fail grading options, selecting traditional letter grades provides the Admissions Committee with the most complete opportunity to assess an applicant’s academic ability.
The USJ PA Studies Program reserves the right to not accept Pass/Fail grades from institutions whose grade policies would allow a “Pass” grade to be issued for a course with an earned grade lower than “C”, in keeping with published admission guidelines.
Please note that admission to the PA Studies Program is competitive. Meeting the requirements noted below does not guarantee an interview or admission.
Applicants must have completed the following prerequisite courses:
|Coursework||Semester Credit Hours|
|Biology with Lab||8|
|Chemistry with Lab||8|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology with Lab||8|
|Organic Chemistry with Lab or Biochemistry||4 Organic /3 Biochemistry|
For Each of the Above Courses:
- Grade of “C” or better
- AP Scores of 4 or 5 will be counted for completion of a course, but will not be factored into GPA calculations
- Completed at a regionally accredited US institution
- Cumulative prerequisite 3.0 GPA at the time of application
- Students with no more than 2 outstanding prerequisite course requirements are eligible to apply
- All coursework must be satisfactorily completed by December 23, 2021 of the year preceding enrollment
- All coursework must have been completed within 7 years of enrollment (Waivers may be granted after faculty consideration, on a case by case basis.)
- Comparative Anatomy will not be accepted toward the Human Anatomy & Physiology pre-requisite requirement.
- Mammalian Anatomy is usually accepted toward the Human Anatomy & Physiology pre-requisite requirement. Applicants who are concerned their Mammalian Anatomy course may not meet the requirement, are asked to submit a syllabus to [email protected]. The course will be reviewed and a response sent at that time.
- Course Waiver Request Form
- Baccalaureate degree (no preferred major) completed by December 23, 2021 of the year preceding enrollment
- Cumulative overall 3.0 GPA at the time of application as noted in the “CASPA Overall GPA” calculation. This calculation considers all college level coursework ever completed. *Applicants with international coursework, please see International Applicants section.
- Ability to meet Program Technical Standards with or without reasonable accommodation as described by the ADA
- Ability to successfully pass a criminal background check and urine drug screen, if admitted
- Review of the program immunization and health requirements required before application
|Overall Cumulative GPA||10|
|CASPA Application Review||30|
All applicants who have earned a degree from a non-US institution must meet all of the above admission requirements including a cumulative overall 3.0 GPA at the time of application. This calculation considers all college level coursework ever completed and will be manually calculated by the USJ PA Studies Program using foreign transcripts for applicants with international transcripts.
They must also submit proof of the following:
- A course-by-course foreign transcript and degree evaluation
- Official TOEFL scores, from within the last 2 years, with a score of at least 100 (internet based)
Applicants meeting the above requirements who have also earned a degree from USJ and currently enrolled students who have completed a minimum of 60 credits at USJ will be guaranteed an interview opportunity. However, no additional points will be added to their admissions scoring.
This preference extends to only one application cycle. To qualify for an interview in a subsequent application cycle, candidates must apply and qualify similarly to all other applicants.
The USJ PA Studies Program will utilize a rolling admissions process. As such, there is a competitive advantage to submission of verified application as early as possible in the application cycle.
The USJ PA Studies Program does not grant advance placement/standing within the program curriculum based upon previous coursework or educational/work experience.
Applicants to the USJ PA Studies Program will be required to acknowledge that they have read the technical standards prior to submitting their application.