Transfer Student FAQs

Get the facts. Learn more about transferring to the University of Saint Joseph.

Attend a university where you can get the degree you need and be a part of a mission-driven community. Join us at USJ today! Join in to stand out!

Don’t see the answer you need? Contact us for more information.

How do I apply for admission?

Interested students can submit an application online, plus the following:

  • An official high school transcript or official General Education Diploma (G.E.D.) transcript
  • Official transcript(s) from college(s) previously attended, including evidence of degrees earned
  • SAT or ACT scores, if available

You also may be asked to submit a catalog and/or course description(s) from the college(s) you attended.

Will my credits transfer?

USJ recognizes academic credit that has been awarded to students at other regionally accredited higher education institutions, as long as courses are of the general nature of courses offered at the University. Generally, this credit will be applied toward the minimum semester credit hours required for graduation. Credits taken elsewhere that the student wishes to apply toward a major area of study must be approved by the appropriate departmental faculty.

Only credits of C- or better are accepted in transfer (for students transferring to the Department of Nursing, grades in science courses must be B- or better). USJ does not grant transfer credit for “Credit by Examination” completed at other colleges. Also, USJ does not usually accept P grades, unless they are proven to be worth C or better. View our online course equivalencies.

When will I find out if I have been accepted?

Notification of admission is made on a rolling basis.

As soon as your credentials are complete, the Admissions Committee reviews your application and you are informed of the decision. The Committee’s acceptance of a candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of any academic work currently in progress. Following acceptance, an evaluator in the Registrar’s Office will perform a credit evaluation. To accept the offer of admission, you will complete the appropriate confirmation form and submit a non-refundable deposit, which is credited to the first semester’s bill.

When can I register?

Once the Office of Admissions receives a confirmation form and a deposit, an academic advisor will contact you to set up a registration appointment.

Do I need to schedule a personal interview?

No. However, we strongly encourage all applicants to attend an admissions presentation and campus tour, or attend a transfer and part-time undergraduate student information session.

I have a copy of my transcript but it is opened. Will this be accepted?

In order for a transcript to be considered official, it must be submitted to USJ in a sealed envelope, and it must bear the official seal of the college or university. Unofficial or opened transcripts are not accepted. You may also utilize an escript service to send an electronic transcript.

Where do I send my admission application and transcripts?

Please apply online and then have your official transcripts mailed to: University of Saint Joseph Office of Admissions, 1678 Asylum Avenue, West Hartford, CT 06117. Or have electronic transcripts sent to [email protected].

I took courses at a Connecticut community college. How do I know if they will be accepted?

USJ has an articulation agreement with Connecticut’s community colleges. To find out which courses are accepted in transfer from these institutions, view course equivalencies.

How recent do my science courses have to be if I am interested in applying for the Nursing program?

Biology and Chemistry courses should be no more than five years old to be accepted in transfer toward the Nursing program prerequisite requirements.

Will science courses taken without labs be accepted in transfer?

Only prerequisite sciences that are taken with a lab are accepted to meet the requirement.

Is financial aid available?

Yes, full-time, matriculated students may qualify for merit-based academic scholarships and/or need-based financial assistance. Students interested in applying for financial aid should submit their FAFSA online. USJ’s school code is 001409. For more information, check out our Financial Aid section.

Can I apply as a second-degree student?

Students interested in earning a second bachelor’s degree at USJ are welcome to apply. Learn more about our second-degree program in Nursing. If you are interested in a second degree in another program, apply online and make sure to submit a transcript showing conferral of a Bachelor’s degree. Reach out to an admissions counselor for more information.

Take the Next Step

Come and tour our beautiful campus, learn more about our programs and discover firsthand what makes our University so unique!

Contact Us