Graduate Financial Aid

The Office of Student Financial Services, located in Mercy Hall, helps graduate students identify sources of financial assistance to help meet the cost of their education.

Financial Aid Programs

The Federal TEACH Grant

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides up to $4,000 a year in grant assistance to students who are completing coursework needed to begin a career in teaching. In order to be eligible for a TEACH grant, a student must submit a FAFSA form and sign an Agreement to Serve as a full-time teacher at certain low-income schools and within certain high-need fields for at least four academic years within eight years after completing (or ceasing enrollment in) the course of study for which the student received the grant. The U.S. Department of Education will determine your eligibility for this program.

The TEACH Grant converts to an Unsubsidized Direct Loan if the student fails to complete any part of the obligation. The loan, plus interest, must be repaid.

If you are interested in applying for the Federal TEACH Grant, please submit the USJ TEACH Grant Application after completing the TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve or Repay (ATS).

Graduate Assistantships

The Graduate Assistantship Program provides an opportunity to obtain valuable academic work experience while receiving a tuition waiver or hourly wage. Graduate Assistants work in various roles throughout campus and are vital for the success of our academic departments and offices. A limited number are available. Applications and position descriptions, for fully admitted students, can be found on MyUSJ.

Academic Scholarships

Limited scholarship opportunities may be available from USJ’s academic departments. Inquire with your department chair.

Tuition Reimbursement

Your employer might offer to pay a portion of your tuition for course work in a related field of study. Consult your employer’s Human Resources department for availability and eligibility.

Yellow Ribbon Program & Veterans Services

The University of Saint Joseph is approved for the training of military personnel, veterans, and children of veterans under the appropriate chapter of Title 38, the United States code. For more information, visit USJ’s Office of the Registrar’s Veterans Services.

Financing Opportunities

Financing through educational loans is the primary source of financial aid for graduate and doctoral students. Federal and private lending opportunities are available.

Federal Loan Programs

Federal Direct Student Loans are low interest rate federal loans made to graduate students attending accredited colleges and universities. You must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at every year to be reviewed for federal loan eligibility. University of Saint Joseph School Code: 001409

Graduate Certificate Programs and Federal Loans

Currently, only two graduate level certificate programs are eligible for federal financial assistance:

  • Dietetic Internship Program
  • Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner

Students seeking financial assistance for other certificate programs may use private alternative financing.

Alternative Loan Programs

Students interested in alternate financing may apply for an education loan from a private lender. Eligibility for private education loans depends on the borrower’s credit score and typically requires a credit worthy co-signer to receive a favorable interest rate. For more detailed information on alternative loans, including a list of historical lenders, see our Alternative Loans page.

Borrow Wisely

Borrow only what you need to cover your costs. Your federal graduate debt limit includes loans for undergraduate study.

Federal Direct Student Loan Lifetime Limits: Graduate/Professional: $138,500 (maximum $65,500 subsidized)

Academic Requirements for Financial Aid

Students receiving financial aid must be matriculated into a degree-granting program or eligible certificate program, and enrolled in the appropriate credit hours per term.  Students must also maintain satisfactory academic progress.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

In accordance with federal regulations, all financial aid recipients are required to make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards their degree, and be in good academic standing in order to remain eligible to receive federal, state or institutional financial aid. It is important to note that SAP standards described here are separate from, and in addition to, the Academic Standing policy established by the faculty of the University.

Students who have applied to a graduate program but will not be matriculated prior to the mid-point of the semester are not eligible for the Federal Direct Loan. You may, however, apply for an Alternative Education Loan.

Covering Living Expenses

Students can borrow in excess of their charges to assist with educationally related expenses, such as living costs. In order to determine the total amount of aid allowed per semester, including both federal and private loans, a cost of attendance is created. This cost of attendance includes direct charges to your bill (tuition & fees), as well as estimated indirect/personal expenses that a student may incur. Students may not borrow in excess of the approved cost of attendance. Each year the cost of attendance is adjusted to reflect changes in costs and expenses. Contact Student Financial Services for more information on your personalized cost of attendance.

Take the Next Step

Come and tour our beautiful campus, learn more about our programs and discover firsthand what makes our University so unique!

Contact Us