Financial Aid for Off-Campus Students

There are financial aid options that are not based on need. Graduate students enrolled in master’s degree programs at University of Saint Joseph are eligible to participate in the Federal Direct Loan program which is not based exclusively on financial need.

To be eligible to borrow funds under the Federal Direct Loan program you must:

  • File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year
  • Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
  • Not be in default on prior educational loans
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress

NOTE: The Financial Aid Office at University of Saint Joseph will not be able to disburse any financial aid until you have been officially admitted into the program for which you are applying.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

  1. Create an FSA ID. You can create an FSA ID when logging into certain U.S. Department of Education (ED) websites, including Your FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your own personal information on ED websites such as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You must have your PIN prior to completing the FAF­SA. You will be able to use the same FSA ID in the future to apply electronically for student aid and access your U.S. Department of Education records.
  2. Complete the FAFSA online. You will need your FSA ID, your previous year’s Federal Tax Return, and University of Saint Joseph’s school code (001409) to complete your FAFSA online. All graduate students are considered independent for financial aid purposes. You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) when your application has been processed. The USJ Financial Aid Office will automatically receive your data electronically once it has been processed. Please allow at least one week for processing.
  3. Follow the instructions that USJ will provide to accept and apply for student loans. You will need your FSA ID to electronically sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Loan Counseling. These electronic documents are a Federal requirement for all student loan borrowers.

Questions? Contact the Financial Aid Office at 860.231.5223 or by email at [email protected].

Graduate Financial Aid

For more information on financial aid and federal loans available for graduate students, please visit our Graduate Financial Aid page.

Federal Programs For Teachers

Federal Loan Forgiveness/Discharge Programs:

The Department of Education offers several options for Federal Loan Forgiveness or Discharge for teachers. The U.S. Department of Education will determine your eligibility for these programs; which are: Teacher Loan Forgiveness, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, and Perkins Loan Discharge. Information and supplemental applications for each of these processes can be found at under How to Repay Your Loans then Forgiveness, Cancellation, and Discharge.

Please do not base your enrollment on this program as it can be difficult to ensure qualification for Government Programs, which are subject to reform and funding changes.

The Teach Grant:

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides up to $3,760 (due to sequestration) a year in grant assistance to students who are completing coursework towards certain high-need fields. In order to be eligible for a grant, a student must submit a FAFSA form and sign an Agreement to Serve as a full-time teacher at certain low-income schools and within certain high-need fields for at least four academic years within eight years after completing (or ceasing enrollment in) the course of study for which the candidate received a grant. The U.S. Department of Education will determine your eligibility for this program.

The TEACH Grant converts to an Unsubsidized Direct Loan if the student fails to complete any part of the obligation. The loan, plus interest, must be repaid. For more information and to sign the Agreement to Serve (ATS).

If you are interested in applying for the TEACH Grant, please submit the USJ Teach Grant Application after completing the Agreement to Serve (ATS).

For More Information

Please contact the Financial Aid Office at 860.231.5223.

Take the Next Step

Come and tour our beautiful campus, learn more about our programs and discover firsthand what makes our University so unique!

Contact Us