State & Federal Funding

Contact us to learn more, or review the information provided below.

Federal Grants State Grants

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant & Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

These federal grants are awarded to undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional financial need and meet certain criteria established by the U. S. Department of Education.

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

This federal program provides assistance for undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, and graduate students who qualify academically (3.25 overall GPA on a 4.0 scale) and agree to teach for at least four years as full-time, highly qualified teachers within eight years of completing, or otherwise ceasing to be enrolled in, the program for which she/he received a TEACH Grant. Service must be in high-need fields in public or not-for-profit elementary or secondary schools that serve students from low-income families.

University of Saint Joseph only awards TEACH Grants to eligible graduate students and undergraduate juniors and seniors who declared majors in eligible fields. Freshmen and sophomores are not eligible to apply for a TEACH Grant. For more information on eligibility please contact the Student Financial Services office.

Eligible full-time students may receive $4,000 per year , up to a maximum of $16,000 for undergraduate and post-baccalaureate study, and $8,000 for graduate study. The grant is reduced for part-time students.

The law identifies the following as high-need fields:

  • Bilingual education
  • English language acquisition
  • Foreign language
  • Mathematics
  • Reading specialist
  • Science
  • Special education
  • Another field documented as high-need by the Federal government, a State government, or a Local Education Agency, and approved by the Secretary. (This field must be listed in the Department’s annual Teacher Shortage Area Nationwide Listing.)

The TEACH Grant converts to a Direct Unsubsidized Loan if the student fails to complete any part of her obligation. The loan, plus interest, must be repaid.

TEACH Grant Forms & Information:

State Grants

Connecticut Roberta B. Willis Scholarship Program (RWSP)

This program, administered by the Connecticut Office of Higher Education (OHE), provides scholarships to help talented and needy Connecticut (CT) resident students pay for college. For additional information contact Student Financial Services or visit

RWSP Need-Merit Scholarship (renewable)

Qualifications: CT resident, high school senior or graduate with a high school junior year class rank of 20% or better and/or SAT score of at least 1200 or ACT score of at least 25. Must also meet high-need financial qualifications as determined by OHE annually.

How to Apply: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) prior to February 15th of year prior to the academic award year. Your high school guidance counselor must submit an electronic application to OHE also by February 15th.

RWSP Need-Based Grant (renewable)

Qualifications: CT resident who demonstrates high need via their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Estimated Family Contribution (EFC).

How to Apply: Complete the FAFSA. USJ determines recipients based on state guidelines and all students are automatically considered for the RWSP Need-Based Grant.

Take the Next Step

Come and tour our beautiful campus, learn more about our programs and discover firsthand what makes our University so unique!

Contact Us