Tuition & Financial Aid FAQs

Get answers to your questions about tuition and financial aid. Don’t see the answers you need?

Contact Us

Will I qualify?

Good news! Contrary to popular perception, nearly everyone qualifies for some form of student financial aid. It is true that grants and scholarships are based on financial need. However, all students are eligible for low-interest Federal loans, which offer far more attractive repayment terms with lower interest rates than loans available privately. The only way to know what types of funding you may be eligible for is to apply.

If I am an international student, will I qualify?

International students are not eligible for federal financial assistance programs; however, you may be considered for merit-based scholarships upon admission and private loans. For additional questions about the international admissions process, please visit the international students admissions page.

When do I submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)?

You can start filling out the FAFSA on October 1, no earlier. In order to complete the application, you and your parents/guardians must create a username and password. While completing the FAFSA, do not forget to send it to each school to which you are applying, including USJ, using our school code 001409. Visit the Federal Student Aid website now to begin the free and easy FAFSA application and to get some great tips on how and why to apply. Or, contact Student Financial Services for more information at [email protected] or 860.231.5223.

  • Returning student FAFSA Deadline – December 1st
  • Incoming student FAFSA Deadline – March 1st

How can I get help in the financial aid process?

Your admissions counselor will work with you throughout enrollment to explain the financial aid process and make sure you are on track to complete the necessary paperwork in a timely manner. Individual assistance is available through the USJ Student Financial Services by calling 860.231.5223.

If my parents do not claim me as a tax dependent, will I be considered independent for financial aid?

Independent status will be granted if a student meets the criteria established on the FAFSA. Independent status is not awarded based solely on tax information or a student’s living arrangements. Please refer to FAFSA’s website for further information.

What if I receive a scholarship from another organization?

Students are required to report the receipt of scholarships from sources outside of USJ. Outside scholarships will first be applied to unmet need; second, to reduce Federal Direct, PLUS, and/or alternative loans; and lastly, to replace University and/or State funds.

Do I need to reapply for financial aid every year?

Yes. Each year, you must complete a renewal FAFSA and, if requested, submit all supporting tax return transcripts and documentation by USJ published deadlines.

Will my financial aid award remain the same for all four years of study at USJ?

USJ is committed to awarding need-based financial aid to students who apply by the priority deadline and who demonstrate financial need as determined by the Student Financial Services office. It is the University’s goal to keep the overall value of financial aid awards similar from year to year, provided a family’s circumstances and financial position do not change substantially. Students who wish to receive need-based assistance from USJ must complete the FAFSA each year.

If I do not complete my undergraduate degree within four years, will I be eligible to receive financial aid until I complete my degree requirements?

Provided that you are making satisfactory academic progress and have not satisfied all course requirements, federal and institutional aid is available for all students who demonstrate need for up to five years of study.

Note: Aid eligibility for transfer students is prorated based on accepted transfer credits.

In addition to the aid listed on my financial aid award letter, is there any other aid available for which I may apply?

All students are encouraged to seek out outside scholarships. Additionally, parent and private student loans are available to credit-worthy borrowers. Information is available in the Financial Aid section of this site.

What changes in my family’s financial circumstances will affect my financial aid award?

The most common areas of change that affect eligibility for financial aid include, but are not limited to: income; assets; household size; number of dependents enrolled in a certificate or degree-seeking undergraduate program; and parent/guardian marital status.

If my custodial parent remarries, will this affect my financial aid award?

Yes. If the custodial parent remarries, federal and institutional policies require that the stepparent’s income and assets be included in determining eligibility for financial aid.

My financial aid was calculated based on two dependent students attending college this year. What will happen if my sibling does not attend college?

If your sibling does not attend college or is not enrolled at least half-time in a certificate or degree-seeking undergraduate program, you can expect a decrease in your financial aid award.

Does USJ consider siblings in graduate school when calculating financial aid awards?

Graduate students are considered independent for federal financial aid and therefore USJ does not include graduate students when determining your eligibility for financial aid.

Is financial aid available for summer coursework?

USJ grant assistance is not available for summer study. However, federal aid may be available based on your remaining eligibility from the prior year. Please contact Student Financial Services for more information at 860.231.5223.

Take the Next Step

Come and tour our beautiful campus, learn more about our programs and discover firsthand what makes our University so unique!

Contact Us