Emergency – Town of West Hartford
Campus phone: 9-911
Non-campus phone: 911
USJ Public Safety
McDonough Hall Lower Level
Campus phone: x5222
Non-campus phone: 1.860.231.5222
Send Protective Orders via Fax to: 860.371.3300
Your Safety is Our Top Priority
West Hartford Campus
#2 Safest College Campuses in CT – Niche.com 2022 Best Colleges for Connecticut
Click the blue icons on the map for campus information
At the West Hartford campus, the Department of Public Safety maintains a close working relationship with the West Hartford Police Department and the West Hartford Fire Department. Public Safety Officers cannot make criminal arrests but do enforce University rules and regulations on campus, including parking and traffic violations. Every effort is made to enforce these rules and regulations equitably and professionally.
Academic and administrative buildings on campus are secured with lockable entrances and, in many cases, intrusion-detection systems. Public Safety Officers may admit faculty, staff and students after normal business hours if an appropriate University official has contacted Public Safety and authorized such access. The Public Safety Officer will ask to see a University identification card for verification. Buildings that are open during the evening for classes and computer use are secured by Public Safety when the classes have concluded.
Faculty, staff, and students working in their offices, classrooms, and laboratories are encouraged to follow these personal safety recommendations:
- Report any suspicious individuals to Public Safety immediately.
- Lock valuables in a file cabinet or desk when at work.
- Lock your office door even if you are leaving for a brief period of time.
- Notify Public Safety when you are working late, on weekends or holidays.
- Lock windows and doors when you leave for the day.
Residence halls are locked 24 hours a day. Access for resident students and staff is via the University identification card issued by Public Safety. Residential students are permitted to have guests visit them but must follow guidelines established by Residential Life. Resident students are not to prop open any doors or allow the entry of strangers into the residence hall. Maintenance staff, including maintenance mechanics, housekeepers, custodians, and groundskeepers, continually wear their University identification cards. Vendors and contractors must be escorted into the residence halls by Public Safety Officers. No maintenance staff, including vendors or contractors, are permitted in residence halls prior to 9:00 a.m. or after 5:00 p.m. except in emergency situations. Any students or staff that observe an unauthorized person in a residence hall, are asked to please contact Public Safety immediately.
In addition to the West Hartford campus, the Department of Public Safety maintains officers on duty at the Pharmacy department facility located at 229 Trumbull Street in Hartford during the hours of operation 7 days a week. The Department of Public Safety maintains a close working relationship with the Hartford Police Department and the Hartford Fire Department with regard to issues at this location.
The Department of Public Safety Pharmacy department post is located in the first-floor lobby. A Public Safety Officer is on duty at this station whenever the Pharmacy department is in session.
Safe and Sound, 24/7/365
The department operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, and officers patrol the campus on a regular basis. Contact us for more information or to learn about the following services:
- Campus Parking Registration
- Parking Ticket Appeal Form
- Campus Parking Information
- USJ IDs
- Victim Assistance
- Crime Reporting
- Local authorities assistance (police, fire, and ambulance service)
- Safety seminars for all incoming first-year students
- Campus events assistance
- Transportation services
- Material Safety and Data Sheet Records
For More Information Contact:
Director of Safety and Risk Management
- Text AlertsOpt-in to the USJAlert systems to receive emergency text notices instantly on your mobile/cell phones, wireless PDAs and email accounts.
- Title IXUniversity of Saint Joseph is committed to providing a workplace and educational environment, as well as other benefits, programs, and activities that are free from sexual harassment and
retaliation. To ensure compliance with federal and state civil rights laws and regulations, and to affirm its commitment to promoting the goals of fairness and equity in all aspects of the educational program or activity, University of Saint Joseph has developed internal policies and
procedures that provide a prompt, fair, and impartial process for those involved in an allegation sexual harassment or retaliation.
- Uniform Campus Crime ReportIn accordance with the Federal Student Right-to-Know and Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990, the USJ Campus Security and Fire Safety Report publishes statistics about violations of the law that have occurred on our campus in the prior calendar year and the two previous years. The report is published and distributed to the USJ campus community every year in September.