Honorary Degree Nominations
Celebrating USJ’s mission in action at Commencement 2024
The call for honorary degree nominations is open each fall. Nominations considered for an honorary degree are awarded at a future Commencement.
Commencement may seem far away, but it’s time to begin the honorary degree selection process — and we rely on your nominations!
USJ regularly awards honorary degrees (Doctor of Humane Letters) to members of the local, national, and global communities at Commencement and other important occasions. We are seeking nominations for candidates who, through personal and professional achievements, reflect the University’s mission and stand out as excellent role models for our students.
Honorary Degree Nomination Form
Please submit the nomination form below to [email protected] by September 21, 2023.Honorary Degree Nomination Form
It is now available: To nominate a candidate, please:
- Read the criteria below to determine suitability
- Complete the online form by the submission date
Process of Review
All nominations will be reviewed by the Honorary Degree Award Nomination Committee and President Free. Final recommendations will be sent to the Board of Trustees for their consideration and approval.
Each candidate’s suitability will be evaluated by the Honorary Degree Committee based on the following criteria:
- Personal and professional achievements
- Eminent scholarship and/or research accomplishments
- Notable creative work
- Outstanding public service
- Leadership – in a professional field and/or the community
- Regional, national, or international prominence that will bring favorable attention to the University
- Demonstrated commitment to education
- Reflection of the University’s mission and core values and its underlying Catholic intellectual and spiritual values